Saturday, November 8, 2008

Reading Alice as an adult...


Alright so I have never read Alice in Wonderland I was simply a Disney movie fan. So when I discovered that we had to read the book for this class I was excited, naturally. I really enjoyed the book when I got through it one lazy afternoon. I loved all of her adventures and the thought that she found another world through the mirror captured my imagination 100%. The only thing that really bothered me once I began looking back on the book was Alice.

I felt like Lewis Carroll put together this amazing piece of literature for everyone to get lost in and everybody does...minus Alice. She bothered me that she was unable to let her self get mixed up in the craziness of the wonderland. She was constantly interrupting all the characters when they began to tell her their stories. One good example is from the chapter The Mock Turtle's Story.

"The master was an old Turlte- we used to call him Tortoise---"
"Why did you call him Tortoise, if he wasn't really one?" Alice asked
"We called him Tortoise because he taught us," said the Mock Turtle angrily. "Really you are very dull!"
"You ought to be ashamed of yourself for asking such a simple question," added the Gryphon.

I just don't understand why she cannot let things just sit and be as they are, it is very obvious that the girl has no imagination throughout the entire book. She just does not have any idea how amazing this place is that she has landed in because she wants to understand it all. But then I guess if she had this amazing imagination then wonderland would a different book all together. So it is probably a good thing that she is the way she is, but oh my gosh does it annoy me.

No comments: